Sunday, October 2, 2016

Traditional Marriage

"The ancient origins of marriage confirm its centrality, but it has not stood in isolation from developments in law and society. The history of marriage is one of both continuity and change. That institution—even as confined to opposite-sex relations—has evolved over time." What does that even mean? Sure, marriage has developed over time, but has it really changed? The idea of traditional marriage sure hasn't. 
Even in a society where the view and ideas of marriage have changed legally... the sacred nature of marriage in the eyes of God has and will continue to stay the same. When learning about the Supreme Court ruling of the legalization of gay marriage, it was stated that, "the fundamental purpose of marriage is to promote the well-being of those who choose to marry. Marriage provides emotional fulfillment and the promise of support in times of need. And by benefiting persons who choose to wed, marriage indirectly benefits society because persons who live in stable, fulfilling, and supportive relationships make better citizens." I definitely agree with this statement because I do view marriage as positive thing for people involved. I would argue this being the most fundamental purpose.  God has taught that marriage is to unite two personages and for them to use power of procreation to create life and rear children. And I think that is more fundamental than the well-being of the people involved. Yes it does bring joy and allows a support system, but what did God intend marriage to be? 
Marriage is ordained of God, it is a vital part of His eternal plan, it is intended to last forever. It is essential for our exaltation, it must be performed by proper authority, and it is a joy and a great sacrifice.

Image result for marriage gif
I will say that I, in no way, look down on those who struggle with same sex attraction or those who choose to marry someone of the same sex, but I personally simply do not practice that or believe in it's validity. I will love and show compassion towards those people under all circumstances. But I will always defend God and what I know is the truth of what a marriage should be. In the case about the legalization of same-sex marriage, it mentioned that the third parties, (like me) are not affected, which I personally believe to be true. In no way does the legalization of same sex marriage personally affect me or the way I choose to live my life. That being said, I am thankful for my knowledge of the truth and I will live according to that. 
Elder Nelson said, "Male and female are created for what they can do and become, together. It takes a man and a woman to bring a child into the world. Mothers and fathers are not interchangeable. Men and women are distinct and complementary." And I wholeheartedly agree, that is what marriage and raising a family is all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment