Sunday, October 9, 2016

Marriage According to God

It is so often that individuals in any kind of relationship may seem to think that, they themselves, and the other person involved must each give 50% in order for the relationship to grow and progress. As we are able to come to accept the fact that to have a full and healthy relationship both individuals actually need to each put in a whole 100%, then we can understand part of what a covenant marriage is according to God. Elder Bruce C. Hafen said, " Contract companions each give 50 percent; covenant companions each give 100 percent." We should all strive to have a covenant marriage because that is what will allow us to return to the presence of God. 
It is such a blessing that we are able to be united to one individual from the time we choose to marry and throughout the rest of eternity. What a gift marriage is from God and that every person has the opportunity to do so.  Another big part of God's plan for marriage is the idea of creating an eternal family. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe that families can be together forever, even after this mortal life. We know that the only way for our family to be together forever is to make and keep sacred covenants in the Holy Temple.  Without being sealed to our families in The House of The Lord we can only be together until death. We must continually prepare to enter the Temple to make the covenants that allow families to be together for eternity and the song Families Can Be Together Forever describes this idea perfectly:
Verse 1: I have a fam'ly here on earth.
They are so good to me.
I want to share my life with them through all eternity.
(Chorus)
Fam'lies can be together forever
Through Heav'nly Father's plan.
I always want to be with my own family,
And the Lord has shown me how I can.
The Lord has shown me how I can.
Verse 2: While I am in my early years,
I'll prepare most carefully,
So I can marry in God's temple for eternity.
Elder Hafen also said, "Marriage is by nature a covenant, not just a private contract one may cancel at will." I think it is important that we fully understand what is required of a marriage and enter into the holy covenant of marriage with the Savior's love and an eternal perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment